Tuesday, September 1, 2009

September 1, 1980

29 years ago today was actually Labor Day! Gregg was working at Metro Hospital at the time as a phlebotomist. We were living on Lake Drive. I remember waking up as a thunder storm began and as Gregg left for work, told him to be prepared to come right back home because I thought it really was labor day......he thought I was joking of course. Not more than an hour later, sure enough, I called the Lab to have him paged. As it happened, Maxine Smith, a family friend, was the person who took the call. She did page Gregg, but also phoned the B's on Kimball Ave. to inform them that MJ was on her way to the hospital. This was fortunate because the B's were also packing up to drive Paul to Michigan Tech - a very long drive.

Gregg made it home quickly and we made a bumpy ride down Fulton to Michigan and Butterworth Hospital. Another hour or so and Emily made here grand entrance, full head of thick, white, blonde hair and all. I remember she had a very good appetite and she and I happily had breakfast before our first visitors arrived.....The B's were able to say hello as they headed out of GR. Granny and Gramps happened to be in Holland for the holiday, visiting from Clare. They mistakenly drove to Blodgett and wound up looking in on another Mary Robinson, who also gave birth that same day. Eventually, they did make it to Butterworth to greet our little Emily.

What a happy day! We love you Emily.....Happy, Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was nice to remember the part about Max, I forgot she took the call and remember her excitement afterward to have been able to call the Kendall house.
BB

La Familia Lopez Robinson said...

Thanks, Momma! I can appreciate my own birth story so much more now that I have given birth. The excitement around it all! I'm glad I was born. :)