Monday, May 31, 2010

Can't resist.....

One more story or two about the trip. Those of you who know my mom, know that you can't go anywhere (in the world) without her bumping into someone she knows or whom she points out as being well known. Well this time, I almost got that prize....and believe it or not, Mom did not run into any "old friends". We were sitting in the lobby at check-out time and it got quite busy with people doing the same or heading out for the Brewers vs. Mets game at the stadium. I looked up to see a woman and young girl getting off the elevator and was surprised to see my cousin, Kathy Forney! "Kathy!" I exclaimed, and she just smiled and shook her head, no. Exact twin, maybe, but not my cousin. She was a dead ringer, from head to toe, even had the same walk. They say we all have a twin. So we had fun anyway discussing times we've each been mistaken for someone else.

Here's another thing we learned about Milwaukee: friday fish-frys may have started because of religion, but in Milwaukee, the friday fish fry IS a religion. And I do mean every friday, all year round. We did our part and had the fish fry (only substituted baked fish) at the hotel restaurant.

I'll mention too, that we were welcomed back in style at the pier in Muskegon by brother Paul. He couldn't see the Lake Express very well from his house due to haze, so drove over to the breakwater and sat and waved as we came through the channel. Thanks Paulie! He was a bit let down that Mom, Lois and I weren't hunkered down under the bulkhead on the top deck, drinking brewskies to keep warm on the way back. Let me tell you, the wind up there was so fierce, I couldn't even open my eyes until they cut the engines down to get in the channel.

It was really fun to see all the sail boats as we came into Muskegon. Our ride back to deliver everyone at their respective homes and car included a slight detour as I made a beeline for I-96 instead of taking US-31 to Holland. So I took the opportunity to show the mom's some of the properties in Ottawa Co. I've been talking about for 10 years, including our newest construction at the WTP. We also drove past the R's new church. Just a bit more sight-seeing.

No comments: