Thursday, February 12, 2009

3rd Installment


Monday, August 4, 1997 - MJ writing: "Sunday morning everyone slept in, exhausted from the long drive. We arrived in Woodbury, Vermont at 3:30 pm. Saturday and met the Knights at their farmhouse, greeted by Lily, a not-so-lily-white dog."

"The cottege (pictured above) was just up the road; small, clean, decorated inside in Spanish red and black, but very comfortable and functional. We have a lovely view across the lake to the mountains. A thunderstorm rumbled through Saturday night after we'd gone to bed. Intermittent rain Sunday morning helped us decide to put off outdoor exploration in favor of a trip to Lake Champlain. We explored Montpelier and Burlington, Vermont, enjoying beautiful scenery to and from."

"We arrived back at the cottage at dusk. Emily and I went for a swim, practiced dives off the dock and chased Jillayne, who was paddling around in the canoe. Later, took a short tandem trip up the shoreline; Jill and Em in the rowboat, Gregg and I in the canoe."

"Ready for bed later and a final moment or two on the dock to enjoy the night sky. No moon from our view, but countless, close, constellations had us wishing we'd brought Em's telescope."

(Monday morning..)..."After traveling so many curving rural roads, it seems to take some adjustment to get used to the four lane interstate as we enter Boston proper. We're in a metropolis area again!"

I'll add my own memory here - aged by 12 years- ...sleeping on very narrow beds, musty, wet smells of the cottage...enjoying the Burlington sight-seeing and the lovely county buildings in Montpelier. We kept our eyes peeled for moose as there were numerous moose-crossing signs...or was that in Maine? I just remember that we REALLY wanted to see one but had heard horror stories of collisions between moose and car, so was anxious about encountering one around a blind curve. I also remember seeing bumper stickers and signs and asking, "What is PHISH?" only to learn that my musical tastes had not kept up with the current enthusiasm for this Vermont band. Give me a minute to Google them and I'd be able to tell you the name of one of their songs....I'd be curious to know what our listening preferences were during this road trip...does "Barenaked Ladies" sound right to you, guys?

2 comments:

G'G'ma said...

Are you longing for another trip like that? Sounds great on these gloomy winter days.

La Familia Lopez Robinson said...

I want to say that BNL was a little after this trip?? Hmm. I don't remember listening to anything particular. I hope you have photos of horseback riding. I'll NEVER forget that Dad was on a horse behind me, so whatever my horse did, affected his. Like when I made my horse trot... seeing Dad bouncing on his horse! And then when my horse made his horse made and his horse tried to stand up on it's hind legs. Oh my!