Monday, February 9, 2009

Diary of a family vacation - Day One

Here's the first excerpt from journal dated August, 1997, Our Family Vacation:

" MJ writing -- Left GR Friday, at 8pm. It's 7am Saturday.....just hit the rumble strip about an hour ago. Time to stop and switch drivers again. After a short nap I woke up to dense mist lifting off the valleys below as we skirt the southwestern edge of the Adirondacks. This is our first sight-seeing along the way. Riding through the night leaves everything to the imagination! Canada was a face at the border saying, "Enjoy your trip." and then a few lights around the Niagra area - a sense of flat, sightless driving and then waking out of a daze again to wait at the U.S. customs, "Open the sliding door, please. Who are these young ladies?" "My daughters." "All three of them?"

"We've taken the toll road all across New York. Good road with minimum traffic. Let's stop for breakfast. Em wants donuts NOW!

Em writing -- I smell them already - yum! I just want to get out the car - peel myself from this greasy chair and wash my hair-wash it in a mountain waterfall - ya-cool! Donuts....hmmmmmmm......."

1 comment:

La Familia Lopez Robinson said...

Glad to see that even ten years ago I loved the use of the "-".