Sunday, October 5, 2008

First Attempt At Fried Green Tomatoes

My Mom is and has been a great cook ever since
I can remember. The only REAL FAILURE that I can
remember is FRIED GREEN TOMATOES. It happened
while we were living in Pittsburgh, in the late '60's.
Pre- Fanny Flag.
Because of the frost this weekend, Jill picked a bunch
of green tomatoes and I figured we'd try frying them.

After checking online recipes and our larder;
our only choice in breading (we have no cornmeal),
was, flour, an egg wash and seasoned flour.

Emily suggested a chipotle mayo, so, Bob's your
uncle, I made a chipotle mayo.

Mom, the failure was not in your execution of
the FRIED GREEN TOMATO; it had to be in our
un-trained palettes.
Even this very basic treatment of green tomatoes
and condiment was BRILLIANT!

4 comments:

La Familia Lopez Robinson said...

Dog-on-it!! I should have stayed around for a taste test!!!!

G'G'ma said...

I did try the tomatoes again a few years ago and thought they were good. Not sure if Dad liked them though. With so many of those fried veggies the sauce is what is really important! Think it was that you kids thought frying green tomatoes was a really weird thing to do. Glad you liked them.

Sarah said...

Those...look...DELICIOUS!!!

GreggR said...

The tomatoes were tasty with just some kosher salt on them, but really good with the mayo.